The Liebster is a friendly pay-it-forward getting-to-know-you thumbs up badge for blogs with fewer than 200 followers. Like other history-minded bloggers who have received this compliment before me, I did some googling to try and figure out where this started. Seems to be somewhat shrouded in mystery, but it’s German for “dearest” or “favorite” and at least one persistent blogger traced it back to a 2010 German blog, but no one seems to be able to find the original post.
It took me a while to figure out that being nominated is the same thing as “winning,” or more properly, receiving, this award. My blog and 10 others were listed and linked by two other bloggers who recently received the award for their own awesome bloggery.
My sincere and humble thanks to the Urban Book Thief and Rika Ashton for the thumbs-up vote of confidence that this represents. Please check out both of these blogs – a whole lot of clever and creative going on! I’m incredibly flattered, and in spite of my skepticism, I’m game for the good-natured chain letter-ish shenanigans involved in “accepting” the award, which basically means making a long-ass post about it and following a list of eleventy or so evolving rules. So read on for some deep dark secrets about me, answers to odd questions you didn’t ask, and some genuine inspiration in the form of links to cool new blogs. And here we go…!
As a recipient, I must:
- List 11 random facts about myself.
- Answer 11 questions posed by the blogger who nominated me.
- Nominate 11 other blogs for the award and link to them.
- Notify the bloggers that they are awesome and have won a shiny pink blogging logo.
- Pose 11 new questions for my Liebster nominees.
- Thank the blogger who nominated me and link back to their blog.
(*Note: Nominees, should you choose to accept this award, you will also have to complete the above tasks. 11 times everything! It’s cracking me up to find that there are Liebster posts from last year where the numerology was only FIVE of everything… sigh. Prices just keep going up.)
Eleven Random Facts about Pamela / Badass Romance ….in which we learn things we may never have wanted or needed to know:
- Bicoastally mixed-up: I am a diehard New Englander but I grew up in California.
- I don’t like riding bicycles.
- Finally remembered to plant some sunflowers this year.
- My first job as a teen was shelving books at the city library.
- I have a serious bird phobia, which is why I am not answering the pigeon question, and a seagull once clawed a sandwich right out of my hand at an otherwise lovely beach.
- I can’t carry a tune to save my life, but I love to sing along to the radio in the car.
- My 5th grade biography project and heroine/role model was Nellie Bly.
- Last year on my birthday I went Girls Night Out dancing with friends at a burlesque cross-dressing disco version of A Midsummer Night’s Dream (The Donkey Show).
- I secretly LOVE Abba.
- My children think most grownup books show people on the cover without their heads. Or half their clothes. Sigh.
- I think this post by Carolyn Crane about the silliness of blog awards is truly hilarious (with thanks to Alpha Heroes!). I want to give myself the Little CJ Blog Award!
Eleven Answers to Questions posed by the Urban Book Thief and/or Rika (Ha! I decided I get to pick a total of 11 from both lists.)
- Chicken or the Egg – CHOOSE! Chicken. It’s dinnertime not breakfastime here right now.
- How did you come up with the name of your blog? I knew what I wanted to call it but it took me a while to summon the nerve to put myself out there with the Badass label!
- Which one of your posts/book reviews was the most fun to write? Historical Romance: Lament, or Let it Die?
- What did you eat for breakfast today? I’m boring. Coffee, yogurt, granola.
- What are you reading right now? UNTAMED, by Anna Cowan. Plus about 4 or 5 other books. I multi-read.
- Which book character do you simply love the most? Rhett Butler or Richard Sharpe. Or Becky Sharp. Really, Jane Eyre of course.
- Which is your favourite book series? The Oz books by L. Frank Baum, or the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.
- Ninjas or pirates – CHOOSE! Pirates, absolutely.
- What mythical creature would you want as a pet? Buckbeak! I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t pick Buckbeak, for my daughters who are so sad hippogriffs aren’t real.
- What is your favourite song right now? Same Love by Macklemore.
- Are you a summer or winter person? I live in New England. You gotta be both.
My Badass Nominees for Liebster Award Winning and Related Shenanigans (this means they are lovely blogs you should check out!):
- Insta-Love Book Reviews – deflowering romance one book at a time
- Quicunque Vult – The Blog of Alexis Hall (Rakehell, dilettante, writer of things, waver of swords and wearer of hats; also guest reviewer at Dear Author)
- Miss Bates Reads Romance – Miss Bates is the loquacious spinster from Austen’s Emma. No doubt she read romances… here is what she would have thought of them.
- Outlander Fan – Weaving the world of Outlander into her everyday life
- Elise Cyr – Medieval Romance Writer (debut novel forthcoming from Lyrical in 2014)
- Emma Barry – fresh, smart historicals and contemporary romance (author of forthcoming U.S. Civil War-set Brave in Heart)
- Evangeline Holland – Where history comes unlaced… Author of Edwardian/WWI historicals (her fabulous history blog is Edwardian Promenade)
- diary of a(n accidental) housewife – she’s making it up as she goes along (debut Untamed author Anna Cowan)
- Genevieve Turner, Historical Romance Writer – her adventures in romantical writing (also the Lazy Homesteader)
- Elfmama – Ruffling Her Feathers: reader, writer, wife, mother, tree lover
- And Then He Kissed Her – History and Romance with author Cora Lee
And finally, Eleven Questions for my Badass Liebsters – go ahead, it’s not that bad to “win” this award. And no dire consequences if you decide to forego “winning” it. But I’m dying to hear your answers!
- What is your favorite actual trophy or other award you can put on a shelf or hang on a wall?
- Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights?
- What book is the most recent addition to your DIK shelf?
- What book is at the top of your TBR stack?
- What book keeps getting remaindered at the bottom of your TBR pile, and do you think you’ll ever get around to reading it?
- What language do you wish you were fluent in?
- Medieval castle or Mediterranean villa?
- What did you eat for breakfast?
- How do you feel about time travel plots?
- What is your favorite carnival ride?
- What blog did you find this week that you love? (time to start thinking about your Liebster nominees!)
the original Liebster tag, before someone tarted up the glossy pink one! Also, Carolyn Crane‘s hilarious Little CJ Blog Award, which I am awarding to myself. And to all of you!